17 Oct Construction Jobs for Backpackers
Construction Jobs for Backpackers Sydney
Hunter Labour Hire have just had the biggest month in the company’s history and based on the trend of the past 3 years and run up to Christmas it doesn’t look like company growth will be slowing at any point soon. With our client base growing and job request frequency increasing daily we’re naturally advertising more and more to assist us with filling these positions. Almost every job Hunter Labour Hire advertise is available to backpackers unless our client specifically requires an Australian citizen.
This week’s blog explains what the most common jobs available to and filled by backpackers are, what backpackers need to do/have in place before applying for our jobs and what opportunities there are to backpackers who do secure employment with HLH further down the line.
Top 3 Most Common HLH Jobs for Backpackers
1. General/Skilled Construction Labourer
These jobs are generally available to all backpackers. As a rule, we request that applicants for these roles have a minimum of 1yrs construction experience. Interestingly due to the varied nature of the work and skill level required being different on each job we find that a lot of backpackers who start off as a general labourer with basic skills develop into a skilled labourer over time once they pick up more and more skills.
Equally as common as the labouring positions our warehouse assistant roles are always suitable for backpackers too. Prior knowledge and experience are desirable but due to the high turnover of staff in these roles a great attitude and work ethic is often the main requirement.
These positions are only available to qualified carpenters but nearly always available to all backpackers. Backpackers who invest in their own tools and transport on arrival to Australia stand a better chance of securing a position as a carpenter, but we do also take on carpenters with basic hand tools and can also kit carpenters out with tools where required too.
What Backpackers Need to Apply for A Construction Job
The prerequisites for every job do vary but as a minimum we would request that all backpackers who are applying for a job with us have the following:
- Unrestricted work rights in Australia (find out how to get your working holiday VISA here)
- An up to date resume detailing all experience
- A White Card (required for almost every job)
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Trade qualifications if applicable for role
- A great attitude and work ethic!
Opportunities for Backpackers in Construction
Securing casual or permanent employment with HLH can open several opportunities for backpackers such as:
- The opportunity to work with some of Sydney’s biggest construction companies.
- The opportunity to work on some of Sydney’s most prestigious projects and landmarks (E.G. Sydney Opera House, Harbour Bridge).
- Consistent employment for duration of visa/time in Australia.
- Temporary to permanent employment which can lead to sponsorship, PR and Citizenship.
- The opportunity to complete 88 days regional work with one of our clients on jobs in a regional area to obtain a second year WHV.
Construction Jobs for Backpackers Available Now
At Hunter Labour Hire we are always looking for the best in labour hire talent and so if you think you have relevant experience and are eager to work in the Sydney labour hire industry then we want to hear from you! Give our team a call now on +61 2 8985 2019 or register online to work with us and we’ll get back to you asap!